Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE), July 25th, 2020
Move your mouse over the image above (on smartphones or tablets: touch it) to get an inverted greyscale version.
I used 6 frames of the timelapse
video (YouTube link) of Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) to create a still
image showing some structure in both the yellow-white dust and the blue
plasma tail. It is not easy to work out structure in the tails of NEOWISE,
since it is most of the time low in the sky and the background is usually
bright, but it is still possible with unsharp masking, although the result
is quite noisy.
- Instrument: 4.9" f/3.8 Wright-Newtonian
- F/stop: 3.8
- Exposure: 6 x 2 minutes
- Camera: ZWO ASI294MC Pro
- Exposure start: 23:23 MESZ
- Date: July 25, 2020
- Location: Niederleis, Lower Austria
- Conditions: Visual limiting magnitude 6 mag, SQM-L sky brightness 20.6 mag/arcsec2, seeing ?, no wind, low humidity, 19°C
- Autoguider: Lacerta MGEN
- Enhancement: Basic data reduction, non-linearization, noise reduction, registration and combination, background flattening, color correction, stars-background separation, local contast enhancement, re-adding of the stars
- Notes: Autoguided on the comet's core. The comet was low near the northern horizon.